Vixen is Victoria’s peer-only sex worker organisation, proudly run 100% by and for sex workers. Vixen promotes the cultural, legal, human, occupational, and civil rights of all sex workers, and has been leading the Victorian campaign for the full decriminalisation of sex work for many years. Vixen is currently auspiced by Scarlet Alliance, and is working on a transition to being a fully independent organisation.
Vixen is looking for a new Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Outreach Worker. The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Outreach Worker will be responsible for providing peer support and education to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander sex workers across Victoria, including:
- drawing on your lived experience as a Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander sex worker to provide best practice peer education and information services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander sex workers;
- conducting in-person and virtual outreach (contacting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander sex workers by visiting workplaces, and via phone and internet to let them know about Vixen and what we do);
- answering phone calls and emails, and meeting with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander sex workers who come to the Vixen office;
- ensuring Vixen is meeting the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander sex workers in Victoria;
- running and participating in community development events that bring sex workers together;
- working with Vixen staff and the broader sex worker community to bring about change that supports sex workers;
- connecting with and learning from other peer educators in Vixen and around the country (including other Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peer workers) to share skills and knowledge;
- sharing your knowledge and insight into Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander sex work cultures with other Vixen staff;
- contributing to the culture of Vixen so it is accessible and welcoming to all sex workers.
Please see the position description for a full list of duties and responsibilities.
You will join a team of other part-time outreach workers, and be supervised by the Vixen Coordinator.
To apply for this role please:
- Read the full position description
- Complete the application form
- Email the completed application from, along with your resume (including two referees) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that this is a peer position – which means you must be a current or former Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander sex worker.
We encourage applications from adults of all ages, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, people living with HIV/BBVs, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, gender diverse, intersex and queer people. For access needs we will provide adjustments to the recruitment process upon request.
If you are interested in the position but unsure whether you meet the criteria, please call Lena on 0450 749 491.
The position will work from the Vixen office in Brunswick, with regular outreach to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander sex workers. This position will be required to regularly work outside of standard business hours when conducting outreach. Some regional Victorian travel may be required, as well as travel in Australia to attend meetings and conferences relevant to this role.
Salary and conditions of employment
This part-time position is offered for a 1-year contract to start and is subject to ongoing funding or organisational change. There is a 6-month probationary period for this role.
This is a part-time position, 15 hours/week, paid at the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010 Social and Community Services Employee Level 4, ($39.26 per hour, pro rata of $77,584 per annum – please note this will increase by 5.75% from 1 July 2023) and subject to the National Employment Standards.
Salary sacrifice is available for this position.